Rudraksha or Elaeocarpus ganitrus is an evergreen tree. It grows in the foothills of the Himalaya. But, it’s known for its association with the Hindu deity, Shiva.
The word Rudraksha has originated from two words, ‘Rudra’ and ‘aksh.’ In Sanskrit, ‘Rudra’ means Lord Shiva, and ‘aksha’ means teardrops. Lord Shiva created the first Rudraksha trees when his tears fell on the earth.
Rudraksha plays a vital role in every spiritual seeker’s life. It emanates vibrations, unlike anything found in nature.
People leave the material world to seek spirituality. And often, in doing so, they welcome the comfort of Rudraksha.
It helps build a cocoon of positive energy around you and calms your senses.
Rudrakshas have excellent healing and medicinal properties. They can cure many health problems such as respiratory, digestive, and heart diseases. Rudrakshas beads also help cure liver and skin diseases.
Rudrakshas regulate body chakras to tackle depression and anxiety.
It purifies your aura and helps calm your nerves. It radiates positive energy and keeps you safe from harmful and evil powers.
All About Rudraksha
Lord Shiva is the creator of Rudraksha. His teardrops led to the formation of these unique etched beads.
Once, an asura named Tripurasura caused mass destruction on earth. Helpless, all the gods turned to Lord Shiva. They requested Shiva to get rid of the demon.
Lord Shiva, after several millennia of meditation, shed lotus-shaped tears. Upon seeing humankind’s future, he overcomes with grief and couldn’t contain his tears anymore.
The divine teardrops fell on the planet and became the first Rudraksha trees.
Regardless, rudrakshas are not a mere result of Shiva’s tears. In Indian mythology, Lord Shiva always wears these beads all the time.
Rudraksha beads are a symbol of surrendering worldly pleasures. Sages or ‘Rishi Munis’ wore the rosary when they denied all bounds to meditate and find peace.
Places Where Rudraksha is Currently Found
Although Elaeocarpus trees grow in countries like Indonesia, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka. Maldives, Hawaii, and Burma.
South East-Asian countries are home to superior species of rudraksha trees.
Currently, Major countries that produce these beads are:-
Indonesia has about 75% of the world’s Rudrakshas. Indonesian rudrakshas are easy to identify.
The mukhs or lines on these beads are inconspicuous. Hence, these beads are cheaper. Some places in Indonesia where you can find rudraksha plantations or farms are –
- South Sumatra, in Pali District
India accounts for 20% of the total production of rudraksha beads. Earlier found only in the foothills of Himalayas.
But, due to increasing demand, Elaeocarpus trees are now cultivated throughout the country.
Indian rudrakshas are rougher and don’t have any luster. Some of the big plantations are –
- Himalayan Region – States like Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Uttaranchal, etc.
- Western Ghats – Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, and Mysore
- West Bengal
- And other minor regions across India.
Nepal accounts for 5% of the world’s total production of rudraksha beads.
Yet, Nepali rudrakshas are pricier due to their location, quality, and luster.
The etchings and lines or mukhs on these seeds are prominent and clear.
Rudraksha beads found in Nepal also have the most variety ranging from 1 – 21 mukhis.
You can also find other kinds of Rudraksha. Such as Gauri Shankar Rudraksha, Shiv-Ganesha rudraksha, Garbh-Gauri Rudraksha in Nepal.
Regions in Nepal where rudraksha trees are grown –
- Dingla region
“Elaeocarpus ganitrus roxb” is the most popular species of Rudraksha. The word Elaeocarpus comes from two words, ‘elaeo’ and ‘carpus.’ “Elaeo” means olive, and “carpus” implies fruit.
This species produces the best quality of Rudraksha. And, it’s valuable because it has both spiritual and scientific importance.
The significant values of each are –
1. Spiritual Values of Rudraksha Tree
- Rudraksha tree is holy because of its association with Lord Shiva.
- It’s the favorite tree of Lord Shiva and grew in the Gauda land or modern-day Gangetic plains.
- Rudraksha trees are divine. People have worshipped these trees since ancient times.
- One can see naturally formed third eyes all over the trunk of rudraksha trees in Kerala.
- Himalayan and Nepali Rudrakshas are more powerful and emanate more positive energy. It’s because they grow in the Gangetic plains.
2. Scientific Values of Rudraksha Tree
- Elaeocarpus ganitrus has plenty of scientific value.
- They are large, perennial trees with broad leaves. The leaves are light green and shiny.
- These trees can grow anywhere between 60-85 feet.
- They are suitable to grow in tropical and subtropical regions. Climate and location play an essential part in determining the quality of beads.
- Nepali beads are more refined and more significant because they’re grown in apt surroundings.
Know more about Rudraksha Trees.
Planting a rudraksha is not easy. There are specific methods to do it that will ensure that your tree bears the best quality beads.
Some of the best techniques are –
- Seed Propagation Method : The seed propagation method is a technique of plantation through sowing seeds.
- Chemical Treatment Technique: Take the seeds and leave the pericarp to rot. After removing the pulp, you can treat it with 1% H2SO4.
- Boiling Technique – Collect the seeds and after removing the pulp, boil it in water to soften the endocarp. After this, sow the seeds in regular soil.
- Grafting method – Cutting and grafting is the most promising method to grow rudraksha plants. Grafting helps reduce bacteria and promotes better growth of the plant. Not a lot of people have experimented with this method. Yet, it shows better results compared to other methods.
It takes 8-12 years for the Rudraksha plant to become a tree. And it’s essential to look after the plant till it’s mature.
Rudraksha fruits appear at the beginning of the monsoon in June. After the flowering season, the fruits sprout like olives.
The fruit has three stages, and these are –
- In its initial phase, rudraksha fruit is green.
- In its second stage, the fruit ripens and turns a bright blue shade. This happens between August – October.
- In its last phase, four, the fruits turn grey/black and fall on the ground.
Rudraksha fruits also have a lot of medicinal properties like –
- They are thermogenic and sedative.
- Help in cough, bronchitis, and anorexia.
- Useful in migraine, manic conditions, and other brain disorders, etc.
Every fruit-bearing tree has a flowering season. And, rudraksha tree has one of the most beautiful blossoms among its species.
- Rudraksha flowers bloom between April – May.
- It has a faint sweet smell that can travel a long way.
- Its fragrance is like that of Night-blooming Jasmine’s.
- Flowers vary in color according to the species.
- Elaeocarpus (Rudraksha) has white flowers with fringed ends.
- It grows in bunches like leaves.
Blueberry Beads (Rudraksha)
Blueberry beads are another name for rudraksha beads. The name comes from the peculiar nature of the Rudraksha fruit.
- Rudraksha tree bears fruit after 4 years of germination.
- Fruits change colors from green to blue to black.
- In August – October, rudraksha fruit turns a shade of bright blue (Blueberry Bead). The fruit is then in its ripened stage.
- These fruits are edible and taste sweet when completely ripe.
- The color of rudraksha fruits is not pigmented but structural.
Know more about Blueberry Beads.
Types of Rudraksha
Rudraksha trees have 360 species that grow all over the world. Out of which, 25 are unique to India alone.
Hence, a lot more varieties of Rudrakshas grow but aren’t generally known yet.
Specific criteria help us identify and distinguish between different Rudrakshas. You can specify them as per the following determiners –
- Faces or Shape – The easiest way to differentiate between Rudrakshas is by the number of mukhs. There are a few other rudrakshas that you can identify because of their unique shape. The generally found shapes of Rudraksha are –
- Number of Faces / Mukhs – 1 – 21 mukhs
- Other Shapes are:-
- Gauri – Shankar Rudraksha
- Garbh – Gauri Rudraksha
- Ganesha Rudraksha
- Places – Location plays a vital role in the development of Rudraksha. In favorable conditions, Rudrakshas are stronger and more potent.
- Nepal – Beads that grow here are of the finest quality.
- India – Rudrakshas that grow in India have a rougher surface.
- Indonesia – Indonesia Rudrakshas have less prominent lines and etchings.
- Colors – When Shiva created Rudraksha, they were in four colors. The color for each jaati / clan is –
- White – Brahmins
- Red – Kshatriyas
- Mixed – Vaishyas
- Black – Shudras
- Astrological Use – Upon wearing the right Rudraksha, you attract various good aspects. Some of the phenomenal changes you could expect after wearing a rudraksha are –
- Money, Wealth and Success
- Health and Prosperity
- Medical Use – Starting from the fruits to the bark, this tree (Rudraksha) has many medicinal uses.
- Ruling God – Every Rudraksha has a ruling God. You must know about your compatibility with Rudraksha before you start using it.
- Ruling Planet – Planets and zodiac signs are among the best determiners. Each Rudraksha has a different ruling planet.
- Beej Mantra – When you do a rudraksha rosary or chant mantra on it, you must pay attention to its beej mantra. All Rudrakshas have different beej mantras. And getting it wrong can cause serious harm.
Having accurate information about Rudraksha will help you decide the best for yourself. Rudrakshas have the power to attract great things into your life. But, if you wear the wrong Rudraksha, it can do you more harm than good.
Rudraksha is famous for its remarkable properties, and some of these are –
- It produces unique vibrations that align our body chakras.
- Your body attracts positive energy from nature, and Rudraksha helps you embody them.
- Energized rudraksha malas help attract marvelous facets of life.
- It helps the body with its surroundings.
- Wearing Rudraksha resists the flow of bioelectric impulses. It generates positive stimulants in the brain.
- Rudraksha helps release chemicals or hormones (endorphin and dopamine) in your brain. This, in turn, makes you feel energized.
- Your respiratory, digestive, nervous, and cardiovascular systems perform better after wearing Rudraksha.
But, the powers of Rudraksha are beyond these. If you want to know more about Rudraksha’s Benefits, click here.
Rudraksha beads are rudrakshas that have a hole through the middle. They are used to make a mala or rosary.
Some Rudrakshas have a natural hole with the stem going all the way through. While in others, we have to drill in a hole to make a rosary.
But, drilling holes can make the Rudraksha vulnerable to damage. Hence, a variety of jewelry that doesn’t damage it is more popular and sought after, like –
Rudraksha seeds are small and white-colored. They are inside the rudraksha shell. After the fruits are dry and clean, we remove the pulps to get the Rudraksha.
Treat the hard shell of Rudraksha with chemicals or break it to get the seeds inside. The seeds are then planted in moist soil in tropical or subtropical regions.
Plants in the appropriate location grow to be healthy rudraksha trees.
Rudraksha has many beneficial properties. Besides having healing properties, it has other properties that have medicinal uses.
The majority of Rudraksha’s benefits can fit into two categories –
- Spiritual Uses of Rudraksha: Rudraksha is well-known for its spiritual and healing properties. Some of its fundamental effects are –
- Aligns body chakras
- Attracts positive energy
- Keeps negative energy at bay
- Medicinal Uses of Rudraksha: Rudraksha has rudrakine, a newly discovered alkaloid. It also has antioxidants, alkaloids, flavonoids, carbohydrates. Some other medical uses are –
- Used in medical treatments like acupressure and magnetic therapy.
- Have natural tranquilizers – Controls Heart Rate and Blood Pressure.
- Has positive results in anxiety, depression, stress, lack of concentration, etc.
Guide to Wear Rudraksha
There are a couple of rules you should keep in mind before wearing Rudraksha.
And there are some dos and don’ts you should keep in mind while wearing it.
Following are a few critical dos and don’ts –
- Do’s while wearing a Rudraksha
- Energize your mala or Rudraksha before wearing it.
- Become a vegetarian.
- Regular conditioning of the mala.
- Keep two different malas—one for chanting and the other one for wearing.
- Don’ts while wearing a Rudraksha
- Eat Non-Veg
- Drink Alcohol
- Refrain from killing any creature.
- Avoid touching the mala to any metal.
- Don’t wear it to any place of birth or death.
- Do Japa with the mala you wear or vice versa.
- Lend your mala to someone else.
Read the full Guide of all the rules of wearing rudraksha mala.
Identify Original Rudraksha
You must have heard the saying, “when there’s a will, there’s a way.” And when there’s an original, there has to be a copy.
That’s why knowing how to recognize an original rudraksha is crucial before you buy it. There are five ways to determine the originality of a rudraksha –
- Boiling method – Boil the bead in water for 20 – 30 minutes. If it’s fake, there will be discoloration at the place of joining. This method can only identify artificial beads where the seller has used adhesive. Industrial quality adhesive or glue can join two or more beads without seeming out of place.
- Floatation Test – Upon putting a rudraksha in water, a real bead will sink while a fake bead will float. But, this isn’t a completely reliable method and can mislead you.
- Cutting Method – This is the most accurate way to determine whether the bead is real or fake. When you cut a genuine bead cross-sectional, it will have the same amount of compartments as faces.
- Copper Coin Test – When you place a real rudraksha between two copper coins, it rotates. This happens because of induced magnetism. It causes the bead to turn clockwise or anti-clockwise.
- C.T. Scan – X Rays or C.T. scans are the most accurate way of identifying a beads originality. X Rays can recognize beads up to 7 mukhis, but getting a C.T. Scan is the best way to go.
Rudraksha According to Rashi
In Hinduism, Rashi plays a vital role while taking any significant decision. And the same goes for Rudraksha. It is crucial to know your Rashi while getting a rosary or bead for yourself.
The Rudraksha that you should get according to your Rashi is –
- Aries / Mesha Rashi – 6 and 14 Mukhi rudraksha
- Taurus / Vrishabha Rashi – 7 and 13 Mukhi rudraksha
- Gemini / Mithun Rashi – 15 and 19 Mukhi rudraksha
- Cancer / Kark Rashi – 2, 13, and 16 Mukhi rudraksha
- Leo / Singh Rashi – 1, 3, and 12 Mukhi rudraksha
If you want to know which rudraksha suits which rashi, click here.
Rudraksha According to Birth
Knowing which rudraksha suits you according to your birth date is essential. It is as vital as determining a bead, according to rashi.
Here are the Rudrakshas you can wear according to your date of birth and nakshatra –
- Ashvini – 8 Mukhi rudraksha
- Bharani – 7 Mukhi rudraksha
- Krittika – 3 Mukhi, 11 Mukhi, and 12 Mukhi rudraksha
- Rohini – 2 Mukhi, 3 Mukhi, and 16 Mukhi rudraksha
- Mrigashira – 6 Mukhi and 14 Mukhi rudraksha
If you want to know more about which rudraksha suits which Lagna, click here
Energizing a Rudraksha enhances the subtle properties present in it. Energized Rudrakshas are more powerful and have concentrated energy levels.
If you want to energize a rudraksha, you can follow these steps –
- Visit a Shiva temple on Monday or an auspicious day. Bring the rudraksha bead or rosary you wish to energize.
- Put the rosary or bead on the shivling and do the puja procedure using panchamrit.
- Wait for 11 people [bhakts] to perform puja on the shivling.
- Pray to Lord Shiva and express your wishes and expectations from the Rudraksha.
This is the simplest way to perform the “siddhi” process or energization process. If you want to know more about the different methods of energizing a rudraksha, you can read more here.
Non-Energized Rudraksha is a Rudraksha bead before the “siddhi puja” or energization. Wearing non-energized beads is not as useful or helpful to you as an energized bead.
Average Price of Original Rudraksha
Original non-energized rudrakshas can cost somewhere between 80 rupees to 5 lakhs rupees. The cost depends on the shape and number of mukhs.
The charges for energizing a rudraksha vary. It depends on the person performing the “siddhi puja” or energizing procedure.
Short Summary of Rudraksha
Rudraksha is one of the more powerful elements found in nature. Its properties are vast and benefits; miraculous.
Before you decide to buy or wear a rudraksha, you must be aware of its qualities, advantages, and downfall.
Rudraksha beads symbolize spirituality and association with nature. Early rudraksha wearers were spiritual aspirants and seekers.
They wanted to get away from the world and discover peace. Yet, the real spiritual and medical benefits were not discovered until much later.
Regardless, wearing a rudraksha is an ethereal feeling. You get to have a piece of Lord Shiva himself, and life will undoubtedly change after you wear a rudraksha.